In the spirit of the upcoming holidays, we offer this gift to you. This is the cheat sheet we use when posting social media material to make sure we’ve covered everything in those 140-character to 2000-character posts. We thought it might be helpful for you as well.
Also be sure to check out the social media video we’ve included with this post from Erik Qualman, author of Socialnomics for some eye candy (consider it a virtual candy cane from us …) and fun social media stats.
Social Media Cheat Sheet
- Set up the corporate version of each channel to go out first, before any personal posts of key officers. This encourages folks to sign up for the corporate accounts of folks in their network.
- Always add 1-2 relevant hashtags for Twitter posts. Makes it easier for people to find your content.
- Vary the wording, especially the lead so they look distinct from each other even if the content is the same. Creates more variety for folks who are in many of your networks.
- Each channel has its own voice (Twitter is short and sweet, LinkedIn is professional and buttoned up, and Facebook is the most conversational).
- Use pictures or video whenever possible to increase engagement. This is KEY.
- Half-lives vary by channel (Twitter is about 15 minutes), LinkedIn and Facebook are about 3 hours), so try to space them accordingly.
- If it’s a holiday day/week, push postings to earlier in the day.
- Use a link shortener, such as Ow.ly, and include a link as much as possible. I am amazed by how many folks fail to add a link to their posts ….
- Use exclamations sparingly.
- Thank people when they comment or retweet or repost our posts.
- Follow those who follow us (assuming they look legitimate of course).
- Follow people who look interesting/relevant, especially clients and prospects.
Having this list means we rarely miss anything, which is so easy to do when you are posting dozens of posts in advance each week. It also ensures proper structure and enhances engagement, which is the whole point of social media, right?
Did we miss any? What are your favorite social media checklist items? Add yours in the comments below. Be social. <grin>
Happy holidays everyone!
ThinkResults Marketing is a full-service marketing agency specializing in launch and repositioning projects. We have helped dozens of Silicon Valley and global clients raise millions of dollars in additional revenue and funding.
Contact us for a free 30-minute consultation on your brand project with our CEO and Founder. Email us to set up your complimentary consultation and have your questions answered.